Due to problems with claims from the BP oil disaster, Alex Sink has set up a new claims website for Floridians.
Sink has been critical of new claims czar Ken Feinberg, saying he’s paying “too little, too late:”
“I’m kind of the mind-set that enough is enough,” Sink, the Democrat candidate for governor, said at this morning’s Cabinet meeting. “I don’t know about you all but I’m sick and tired of this. These desperate people through no fault of their own having to shut their business down? That’s horrendous!”
Sink said the owners of Harmony Beach Vacations in Destin sent her an e-mail yesterday telling her they were going out of business because their claim for lost revenues has languished under both BP and Feinberg, who took over the oil giant’s maligned claims process for individuals and businesses on Aug. 23.
Feinberg hasn’t yet responded to a letter Sink and Gov. Charlie Crist sent to Feinberg last week demanding that he revamp his claims process and appear before them at their next Cabinet meeting in two weeks, Sink said.
Claims no doubt will be an ongoing problem for years to come, as Gulf Coast residents continue to feel setbacks from the disaster.
National Geographic published an article a few days ago showing that the oil is far from gone, and it illustrates how the disaster may have only just begun.
The new website, along with other oil spill resources can be found here.