This week the Grand Obstructionist Party is holding their Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans. Although this could be an extremely long exercise, let’s try to answer the question above. Let’s attempt to count the ways/reasons, shall we?
1. The Grand Obstructionist Party is holding their Southern Republican Leadership Conference on New Orleans. Yes. That’s New Orleans.
2. The Southern Republican Leadership Conference logo:
3. Perhaps the GOP are a little confused. If they’re gong to name their conference based on a concept, they should probably know what the key word means:
About “ability to lead,” “act of leading,” and “leaders of a group?” When it comes to the GOP, I think you need to add one more example to that definition list:
“In order to lead, one must first show up.”
Of the 14 “leaders” with their pictures on the front page of the conference website, after clicking on “speakers” at the top of the page, you’ll find that only seven of them are actual confirmed speakers: 4. Haley Barbour 5. Newt Gingrich 6. Bobby Jindal 7. Sarah Palin 8. Tim Pawlenty 9. Mike Pence, and 10. Rick Santorum.
There are a couple new added names here, the runner-up fill in speakers I guess. For them, that umbrella will come in handy, although you may need a raincoat and some boots as well to wade through all the deep —- that 11. Liz Cheney and 12. Mary Matalin will be slinging around.
13. Now, if you’re concerned that this may indicate you won’t get your money’s worth, fear not! On that same page there’s a festive video re-run from the 2006 SRLC of Mike Huckabee’s Cover Band! And that’s not all! No sir, below that is a nice picture of (who else?) Ronald Reagan with two options for the re-run of his address to the conference from 1984. You can either read an “Error 404 – Not Found” page, or read the text of his speech. Your choice!
14. Speaking of getting your money’s worth, let’s click on “Agenda” shall we? Oops. It seems there’s not much of an agenda, other than schedules for the opening and closing of Exhibit Halls and Registration, what time the shuttles run….let’s see…..a straw poll…..oh! And a Sean Hannity book signing, and “Sean Hannity Live,” hmm, guess he does stand up now?
15. So what will seven (give or take) speakers and no agenda to speak of cost you? $699.00. (I guess the lesbians and bondage fees are extra.)
“Children, one year old or under, will be allowed into the same events as the credentialed registrant. Children over the age of one year old must be credentialed to enter events.”
16. – 47. Lobbyists Sponsors and PACs: I counted at least 32 of them. Of course, there’s SarahPAC, CPAC and HuckPAC. Then there’s Chevron and Pfizer, and Americans For Prosperity (you remember them, the lobbyists disguised as “grassroots” groups bussed all over the country to fight against the health care bill?)
Last but not least, let’s not leave out Keep America Terrified Safe. That’s that darling little group that Liz Cheney uses for purposes of fear-mongering and spreading anti Obama, anti Democratic Party hate-speech. And many, many more sponsors, but that gives you the general idea.
There are still two more days of this loathesome conference left to go. The website boasts of plenty of media coverage, and there’s no doubt in my mind it will get endless coverage much like the Tea Bagger convention did earlier this year, meaning wall to wall commentary.
Probably the only thing that won’t be mentioned in all of this: